Elementary School Ministry: BackSnacks and More
St. Michael’s participates in the community “Backsnacks” program with Harvesters, a massive food bank and distributor serving the Kansas City metro and beyond. Harvesters provides the food packs that are sent home each week with students in need from Rushton and Crestview elementary schools in Mission, Kansas. Each school has a significant number of children who need and deserve this ministry.
In addition to Backsnacks, St. Michael’s participates in a growing community partnership with Crestview Elementary, working in conjunction with other partners to care for, support, and inspire Crestview kids. This partnership includes:
- St. Michael’s Angel Tree to provide toys and necessities to kids at Christmas;
- Food drives at Thanksgiving and Christmas to provide holiday meals;
- Participation in the My Volunteer Pal program (MVP), which allows volunteers to tutor, read to children, share lunch time with a student, and/or assist teachers in the classroom;
- Volunteer opportunities at school events;
- Cheering the kids on the first day of school.
How can I help?
Volunteer: In addition to its coordinator, the Backsnack ministry employs volunteers to load the pre-prepared food packs into large tubs at St. Michael’s for delivery. There is also rotation of drivers to deliver food from St. Michael’s to Crestview and Rushton schools. The Crestview Partnership includes many opportunities to volunteer as outlined above. Ministries involving any contact with children require training (both by the church and the school district) and background checks.
To get more information about this group please contact the church office at 913-236-8600.